- ½ cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tbsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 4 tsp neutral oil, like vegetable or canola oil
- 2 2 medium-size yellow onions peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 2 red chiles, like Anaheim, or 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and diced
- ⅔ cup chicken stock
- 1½ cups cream
- 1½ tsp tomato paste
- ½ bunch cilantro leaves stems removed
- Kosher salt totaste
- Whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala and ground cumin in a large bowl. Add the chicken and coat with the marinade. Cover and let marinate in the fridge for an hour or overnight.
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt the butter in the oil until it starts to foam. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and cumin seeds, and cook until the onions start to brown, about another 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon stick, tomatoes, chiles and salt, and cook until the chiles are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and marinade to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for approximately 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and tomato paste, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the cilantro leaves and serve with rice and naan.