- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 1 bunch fresh sage leaves picked
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 lemons
- 1 bulb garlic
- 4 L milk
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Zest the lemons, then cut them in half and reserve, split the garlic bulb in half horizontally with a knife or crush to break garlic cloves apart.
- Pick the sage leaves off the stems, cut the jalapeno chili in half.
- Drizzle and coat the chicken in oil and then season with salt and pepper.
- In a preheated, high sided pot, sear the chicken on all sides to golden, adding the butter towards the end of the sear, to aid in browning and flavour development.
- Add the milk until the chicken is just covered, then add herbs, garlic, lemon zest, halved lemons that the zest came from and jalapeno to the pot with the chicken.
- Place the pot into the oven and bake 60-70 minutes or until the chicken is pull apart tender.
- Serve with steamed rice or a green salad.